About VSA's Academy Program
The Iowa Soccer Association Academy is a state-initiated and state-led program which parents of U09/U10 players in a qualifying club have the option of registering their child for academy or recreational soccer. Qualifying clubs are Ankeny Soccer Club, Johnston Soccer Club, Urbandale Soccer Club, Soccer West Soccer Club, Soccer South Soccer Club and Vision Soccer Academy of Waukee.
The impetus behind offering two levels of play at U9/U10 is to allow players to play with and against players of similar ability and at a level where they will experience the most success and have the most fun playing the sport.
Find Out More Details Here
If you have questions about Academy, please email us at Academy Email.
To help parents decide which level of play is most appropriate for their child, listed below are the characteristics of typical players who would participate in an Academy Program. If your child displays a majority of the characteristics listed they are probably more suited to that level of play. However, it should be noted that during a player’s soccer development they may move back and forth between academy and recreational play.
Demonstrates sound technical skills (control, dribbling and shooting)
Physically stronger than most players within their age group
- Athletically quicker than most players within their age group
- High level of coordination and good agility
- During games is aggressive in their attitude and approach to getting involved
- During games tends to dominate the play
- Demonstrates high level of focus and concentration during practices and games
- Started to narrow down the number of extra-curricular activities
- Soccer is a high priority
- Practices with a ball in their own time outside regular schedule of games & practices
- U9/U10 player who will try-out for the U11 competitive age group in the following year